Pages

Monday, July 7, 2008

Also: The vacation completely screwed up Jack's sleeping habits

So. I’ve been quite busy. Not kitchen-finishing busy, no. Don’t be ridiculous. It’s only been fourteen weeks!

I have to break in here to say that I couldn’t remember exactly when we started and had to check the blog archives to see. Fourteen weeks? FOURTEEN WEEKS? I mean, I knew it had been a long time, but sheesh. And we haven’t even STARTED the inside pantry. Sob.

Ahem. So, no, I have not been working on the kitchen. No, I have been vacationing, swimming, welcoming a new nephew into the world, and celebrating the Fourth. (We celebrated the Fourth by NOT working on the kitchen.) Oh! And I met Click! Or Clack! It was either Click or Clack!

Photobucket
Ray and some NPR geeks

It was a fundraiser for our local NPR station in which we NPR donors were shown the world premier of Car Talk’s new PBS cartoon, As the Wrench Turns, and I have a few things to note. First, as much as I love Click and Clack, their cartoon is kind of terrible. Second, there was a question and answer period, and Tom, the one I did not get to meet, reminded me of my aunt who recently died. It was spooky. It’s not that he looked like her, it was more his attitude. Something about the way he said, “Ed, no one gives a shit,” when the MC was trying to get the guys to explain every detail about how the cartoon came to be. It kind of warmed the cockles of my heart. And lastly, there was free food and beer at the event, and when we arrived, Andrew and I saw a big crowd of people over by the beer sign. “That must be the line for the beer,” I said. It wasn’t. It was the line to meet Ray. There was no line for beer.

No line for free beer.

That’s when I knew we were at an NPR event. Maybe if it had been white wine spritzers?

At any rate, we waited in the line – after we got our beers – and got Ray to sign Jack’s talking drill. So even though the cartoon was bad, the night was an overall success.

drill
The drill in question

Now for the vacation. Last weekend, we took a short trip to visit a certain internet superstar:

Internet rockstar
The internet rockstar in question

We had a fantastic time. We got to see ducks, goats and geese*, a giant elephant and bugs**. Also motorcycles!*** Although I have to say, Jack would probably have been fine if we had spent the whole weekend at the airport, looking out the window:

Airport window
Trucks! Planes! Even more trucks!

I don’t really have any hilarious stories about the weekend. Jack, being the easy going little dude he is, slept just fine in the strange hotel room. Sure, there was an incident at 4:30 am on Sunday morning in which we heard “Where bink go? Where bink? Where go bink?” over the monitor, followed by a shrieking incident at 4:50 in which we discovered the light we had left on for him had burned out. No, he did not go back to sleep. But I would not DREAM of complaining, as he had gone to bed at 7:30 the night before, and he slept through on Sunday night. He also took all his naps.

I just reread that paragraph and realize that no one really cares except for maybe Arwen, who is cursing me under her breath right now. I’m really sorry, Arwen! I’m sure our second child will never sleep at all! (Note: I am not pregnant.) So, sorry about that.

Asher and Jack seemed to get along fairly well, so long as Asher kept his mitts off the Little People gas station and Jack stayed well away from the Baby Einstein DVD case.

Photobucket
These two are possibly tired

All in all, it was a fun but uneventful weekend. And the best part was, even when we were sitting around the hotel room while Jack slept, we were still not working on the kitchen.

Photobucket

Fountain 2

Speaking of the kitchen, it is, as I have said, not quite done. But almost! For real! There are a few areas of touch up painting and we have to move the refrigerator back in, and that’s it! Well, except for the drawer pulls and the cabinet kickboard and hanging stuff on the walls, but I promise I will not make you wait until it’s completely finished before I show you a picture. You will have to wait until the refrigerator is back in, though.

In the meantime, I leave you with these teaser “after” photos. Witness our excellent color choices!

wainscoting
Wainscoting

wall
Walls

cabinets
Cabinets


*At the zoo.
**At the Natural History Museum.
***Just around town. But there were seven of them parked in a row! Seven!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I see I've developed a reputation for being bitter about baby sleep. Which I totally am, so fair enough. I am already praying (yes, actually praying) that our currently-embryonic child sleeps like a dream. Hopefully he/she will. But I would also want your hypothetical second child to sleep well, because other people's misery doesn't lessen mine.

(Milla slept 8.5 hours in a row the other night! We may have turned a corner! Don't tell anyone, though, because I'm incredibly superstitious about it.)

Incidentally, did Emily tell you about how she and I decided that instead of being jealous of each other, we should both be jealous of you? Asher sleeps but doesn't talk, and Camilla talks but doesn't sleep, but Jack does both! You must have better karma than Em and I do.

Becca said...

I LOVE your color choices! I am terrible at picking out yellows. I may be contacting you for information.

Your trip looks like a ton of fun. I'm glad Jack was such a good boy. Charlie was very good on vacation too but all hell broke loose when we returned. It sounds like you've cleared that potential hurdle. Also, Charlie was also way more into the trucks at the airport than the planes. As soon as we landed and he could see them again he lit right up. "TRUCKS! TRUCKS!" Toddlers are funny.

Dr. Maureen said...

The yellow is Benjamin Moore Provence Creme. I highly recommend it.

And I should say that after I wrote this but before I posted it, we went away again for a short overnight trip and the sleeping has gone all to hell. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Nothing funny happened? I guess you're forgetting that you let your child wander around my backyard for 20 minutes with his bathing suit on backwards and his little butt cheek hanging out? THAT WAS FUNNY, and so was the part where you tried to put it on correctly.

We loved having you though. You guys were so fun and easygoing and we had such a COMFORTABLE time, you know? We miss you!

FrozenLaser said...

Just so all are aware, the colors on the "previews" that are posted are off. The blue is a much better blue. We'll get it right the next time. And, yes Emily, the half butt cheek bathing suit incident was quite the belly laugh.