Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

A few things that I shouldn't care about

Jack is currently a big fan of Curious George, and I have to say I’m right there with him. Curious George is adorable. Nevertheless, I still find myself expecting logical behavior from the human characters in the show, and getting frustrated with their failures. Take a recent episode in which George bought some candy from a new candy counter at Mabel’s department store. After his purchase, the woman who ran the counter asked him to mind the shop for her while she ran out to get some supplies. George, always helpful, agreed, but when a sudden glut of customers surprised George, he ended up handing out free samples to appease them.

And so, when the owner returned to her candy counter, she discovered that George had free-sampled her right out of business. She was pretty upset with George. I, however, felt that she was really the one responsible for the loss seeing as how she had left a monkey in charge of her candy counter. I mean, he did the best he could.

I had to make dinner, so I didn’t get to see the end. I assume it all worked out and she didn't lose her business. But still, anyone who’d leave an untrained monkey in charge probably doesn’t deserve her own business anyway. A trained monkey – now that’s something else.

You know what else bugs me? The Three Bears. Not the story itself, but the flawed physics inherent to the plot. See, Papa Bear’s bowl had the most porridge, Mama Bear’s had the middle amount, and Baby Bear’s had the least. Based on the properties of heat transfer, therefore, Baby Bear’s porridge should cool the fastest, but it is Mama Bear’s porridge that Goldilocks finds too cold while Baby Bear’s is “just right.” That drives me crazy. Every time.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, I never thought about the porridge thing before. Interesting and you are completely right. Hmmm. Charlie loves Curious George too. So sweet.

Swistle said...

1) This is SO FUNNY.

2) I totally agree.

AJU5's Mom said...

And to top of the porridge thing, they probably would have cooled the porridge for the baby bear before serving it if they were good parents...

Anonymous said...

Camilla has a Curious George treasury that she likes to make us read to her (it is long, so we sometimes hide it from her like we do all her long books) and Bryan and I are constantly discussing the flawed-ness of the entire premise. That man in the yellow hat ALWAYS leaves George alone, and ALWAYS tells him not to be too curious, and George ALWAYS gets into trouble, and the idiot man ignores the pattern and does the EXACT SAME THING the next time he takes George out. Ridiculous.

Also, you are right about the three bears. Makes no sense at all. Why did I never think of that before?

Whimsy said...

This kills me, especially Curious George - AND I'VE TOTALLY THOUGHT THE SAME THING! WHY have George do your paper route? WHY give George 100 dozen donuts? I just don't get it.

Also: there's a PIF that's headed your way from Cherish and I can't WAIT to link to you when you get it. Please oh please post a picture, okay?

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is why you are sitting there WATCHING CURIOUS GEORGE! This is when you should be reading blogs! Or reading trashy magazines! Or sitting in the bath with bon bons! Good grief, woman. USE YOUR TV TIME WELL!