Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Place holder

I'm at Andrew's computer right now and starting my computer up involves far too many steps. It's WAAAAAY across the room and I'd have to BEND DOWN to plug it in* and then wait for it to boot up and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. So this means I can't post pictures and I can't finish my post about how I feel about being pregnant right now. (Short answer: It stinks.) But what I can tell you is that I recently bought at $13 watch at Target, and it has CHANGED MY LIFE. I haven't worn a watch in years because the clasp on my good watch broke and it kept falling off my wrist. I got it "fixed" at least twice and finally gave up and stuck it in my jewelry box. Then I just started relying on clocks, my cell phone, and my innate sense of time. Since clocks are not everywhere, my cell phone is often difficult to access, and I have no innate sense of time, I have basically just been late for everything.**

Then one day I thought, "If only there were some sort of small clock device which I could strap to a part of my body, say... my wrist, so that I could simply glance down to see what time it is without having to search in my bag for my sleek-yet-difficult-to-find cell phone. I would gladly pay upwards of $15 for such a device!" And then, lo, I found racks of them at Target. Racks and racks. (Well, one rack. But still.)

Since acquiring my cheap watch, I continue to be amazed at how quickly I can find out what time it is at any given moment. I've also noticed that in this cell-phone society, no one wears watches anymore, and OTHER people seem equally startled at how fast I can tell them what time it is. It's like a magic trick.

The only catch is that I have to remember to wear it.

*This is a legitimate excuse because of the whole "pregnancy stinks" thing. I am not very bendy at the moment.

**In other words, nothing had really changed from when I wore a watch except that I didn't know HOW late until I got where I was going.

4 comments:

Swistle said...

Oh, this is SO FUNNY. Paul and I are always inventing new...inventions. Like, I'll say that I wonder if that's Rip Torn's real name, and Paul will look thoughtful and say, "If only there were some sort of global information network we could just ASK these kinds of questions."

Okay, gotta go, gotta buy a watch.

Becca said...

Hahaha! I know exactly what you mean. I have been thinking of wearing a watch again too. And I do things now that I'm like "Wow, why was that such a huge pain when I was pregnant?" The main one is plugging in my laptop under my desk. HUGE effort.

Anonymous said...

Good girl. I have noticed over the years that you have not even got a "nate" sense of time never mind an innate one. You still look beautiful.
Your anonymous Mom

Heather R said...

I am laughing out loud (LOLing) right now!!! You are like Seinfeld with your humor...just pointing out the obvious...but it's SO funny because it's SO true!