Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I am so unhip it is a wonder my bum doesn't fall off

So yesterday on NPR's "On Point" with Tom Ashbrook , (airs locally from 10-noon with an encore from 7-9pm), the guest was a woman who has written a book about how to raise kids according to your values even if they are in opposition to today's media-intensive lifestyle. She has three teenagers, and she talked about how parents need to pay attention to what is popular in order to parent effectively; in other words, if you want to keep your kids from listening to music with misogynistic lyrics, you have to pay attention to the lyrics so you know which songs to forbid. She also said that because of all her work paying attention to pop culture, her kids' friends actually think she's cool.

All this is to say that if I'm going to have to know what is cool when Jack and Nora are teenagers, I'm seriously screwed. Do you see up there where I recited the host and schedule for NPR's "On Point"? I did that from memory. I can do that with the entire rest of their on-air schedule from 6am-10pm. And did you know that the 9-10am hour of "Weekend Edition" is a repeat of the 8-9am hour?

I did.

Bonus unhip points to anyone who recognizes my title!

11 comments:

Krizzzz said...

1. I'm equally hosed. And I'm around teenagers 5 days a week, 10 months a year.

2. I have a little bit of a voice-crush on Tom Ashbrook.

Kim said...

Yeah. Same here. No kids to feel uncool because of - but I'm sure I'll get there someday. I too have the schedule memorized (and our local station has both fm and am stations) and one of my proudest moments was an appearance on Car Talk.

Dr. Maureen said...

OMG, you were on CAR TALK? I am very jealous. Andrew and I have considered manufacturing a car problem, but we managed to control ourselves. I did meet Ray once, though. He signed Jack's toy drill. It's on the blog.

FrozenLaser said...

Two things: 1. How does Delores Handy still have an announcer job? She messes up like every sentence!
2. Original Quotation is "Geez, you guys are so un-hip it's no wonder your bums don't fall off!" Said by Zaphod Beeblebrox in the original Radio airing of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Kelsey said...

I fear I will have a very similar problem!

Krizzzz said...

I agree about Delores Handy -- good HEAVENS. What she doesn't mess up, she over-pronounces. Which sometimes makes her mess up more. But apparently she's very sweet to her co-workers.

Bob Oakes makes me chuckle in the morning, though. And I still miss Bob Edwards.

Whimsy said...

How about this:

Dr. Maureen, you're so cool we could keep a side of meat in you for a MONTH.

Dr. Maureen said...

I always knew we should be friends, Whimsy!

Amanda said...

I love NPR. My husband calls me old.

HeatherR said...

Maybe you could hire a teenage informant...?

Rah said...

I knew there was some reason I found your blog--other than the Ph.D. thing. All too frequently I find my contributions to conversations beginning "There was a segment on [NPR show]..." The shame of it all.