Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Update on the toddler situation

Jack turns 18 months old in four days. Yes, I know. Time flies by so fast, yada yada, but I have to say, I am loving the toddler stage. First of all, the stories about that cute thing my kid did the other day are a lot more interesting for the people I inflict them on. Let’s compare them:

3 Months Story
ME: You won’t believe what Jack did yesterday. It was so cute! He sort of tried to grab his toe! And chew on it!
THE INFLICTED: (rolls eyes)

17 Months Story
ME: Jack sometimes tries to sneak cookies into the living room by putting them behind his back, but then he turns his back to me as he leaves.
THE INFLICTED: OK, that is kind of cute.

And I have lots more stories like that! Like how the other day I asked Jack, “Who’s the best little guy?” The answer to this question is usually “Jack,” but this time he said, with no prompting or prepping of any kind, “Zhuss.” That is how he says, “Jesus,” the name of our contractor. And there’s also the way he made up a new game where he clutches my red boot to his bosom and says, “Bye! Bye! Bye-bye!” and then leaves the room by one door and comes back in through the other. The red boot seems to be integral to this game, because he has not played it since I put my boots away.

But the best part of that game came when he started adding on “Wuh!” after saying “Bye-bye.” At first this development was less than exciting, but then I realized that “Wuh!” is what he says when I ask him, “What does Mama say?” to which the correct answer is, “I love you!” So, you see, he was telling me, “Bye! I love you!” during the red boot game. That was kind of awesome.

Yes, toddlerhood beats babyhood by leaps and bounds. It doesn’t hurt that we are blessed with the easiest toddler in the history of toddlers. I realize I am about to jinx myself and ruin everything, but as of now, he naps well, sleeps through the night, and spends most of the rest of the day in a cheery playful mood. Sure, he has his tantrumy moments but they are usually tied to fatigue, low blood sugar, or a denial of crayon privileges.

Speaking of low blood sugar, have I told you how Jack eats? I have heard many sad tales from parents whose children eat nothing that is not in nugget form, but things are different here. Let me present you the following lists to demonstrate:

What Jack Does Not Eat*
Peanuts
Shellfish
Nuts

What Jack Does Eat
All other food

*Probably only because we have not yet offered them to him.

Seriously, Jack routinely has spinach, mushroom and onion pizza. He happily ate grilled salmon and garlic mashed potatoes on Friday, and he’d eat an entire can of beets if we let him. He eats everything. Well, everything but jalapeno cheese which he had by accident on Easter.

He’s not a fan of jalapeno cheese.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Charlie and Jack could be friends. They sound like very similar boys! Especially when it comes to food! I am also loving the toddler phase. The communication! The kisses! The deviant little mind! I hear it keeps getting better but it's hard to imagine.

Anonymous said...

My Jack eats everything too. And I don't even pay attention until one of the moms in the moms group complains about having to be a short order cook and then I'm all, "Dude, my kid is EASY." Moms groups are good for perspective.

(And that IS a cute story!)

Tracy said...

That is just so cute! Of course, I'm the type who thinks that the 3 months story is cute too.

I have two older children, you know- and they eat lots and lots of stuff. They went through a few phases here and there where they rejected one thing or another, but for the most part, it's been easy.

so R has been kind of a shock...

I'm glad that you have one who likes everything!

Anonymous said...

That's it. I'm uninviting you to DC.

This is one of those weeks where I think, WHY DO I DESERVE THE MOST DIFFICULT CHILD ON THE PLANET? He refuses to eat, he thinks 45 minutes is FINE for naps (and then he screams and cries all afternoon because he's so tired), and today he cried because the cashier at the grocery store talked to him.

It's a good thing we have a history together, is all I'm saying.

Arwen said...

Ahem. I just nearly had a hair-tearing moment, and it is entirely your fault.

Your kid eats well, he sleeps well, he plays happily on his own, etc. If he doesn't AT THE VERY LEAST steal a motorcycle while he is a teenager, then you and I will never be even, and you will remain on my List.

The only other way to make it even would be for you to have another child, and for THAT ONE to be difficult. Yes. That would be okay too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.